HISTORY OF THE PETROF BRAND

The journey of the five generations of the Petrof family

Allow us to invite you on a short trip into the history of the PETROF company. Let us go back together into the past, when Antonín Petrof laid the foundations of the factory - now the largest producer of acoustic pianos in Europe - and recall the tortuous destinies of all five generations of the Petrofs and of the master piano-makers who work to this day in this honourable craft and family tradition.

1839

Birth of the company founder, Antonín Petrof

1857

Antonín Petrof goes to Vienna to learn how to build grand pianos at the companies: HEITZMAN, EHRBAR, SCHWEIGHOFER

1864

Construction of first PETROF grand piano; founding of company

1865

Antonín Petrof transforms his father’s joinery workshop into a piano maker’s workshop in the old town behind the Cathedral of Svatý Duch (Holy Ghost)

1866

Austro-Prussian battle at Hradec Králové – production is interrupted

1874

New factory; production of harmoniums

1880

A subsidiary in Temesvar in Hungary is opened

1881

The company starts keyboard production and the construction of action

1883

Start of upright piano production

1895

Export of instruments; service centre and warehouse in Vienna

1899

Antonín Petrof appointed court piano maker for Austria-Hungary

1908

The company is transformed into a limited liability company, and Marie Petrofová is the confidential clerk. Not only the founder, but also his sons Jan, Jan, Antonín and from 1914 the youngest Vladimír (2nd generation) work for the company

1915

After deaths of Antonín Petrof and his wife Marie the company passes to the youngest son Vladimír

1924

Production of electro-pneumatic pianos and later radio-acoustic pianos is introduced. PETROF now exports also to Japan, China, Australia and South America

1928

3rd PETROF generation managing the company; together with STEINWAY PETROF opens office in London

1934

Grand Prix gold medal in Brussels

1948

Nationalisation of company

1954

Founding of Development Department

1958

EXPO Brusel gold medal (PETROF Mondial)

1991

4th PETROF generation managing the firm under Jan Petrof

1994

A new modern research centre is opened with its own large-capacity free-field measuring chamber, the largest of its kind in the Czech Republic

1997

Továrna na pianina, a. s. is established in Hradec Králové

1998

Privatisation of the company by PETROF, spol. s r. o. is finalised

1999

135th anniversary of establishment of the PETROF company

2001

5th generation managing the firm; factory returns to hands of Petrof family

2003

Patenting of Magnetically Accelerated Action (MAA)

2004

Zuzana Ceralová Petrofová becomes company president; company celebrates 140th anniversary

2005

Mgr. Zuzana Ceralová Petrofová is appointed president of the European Federation of Music Instrument Manufacturers – CAFIM

2007

Certificate of European Excellence (EEX)

2008

Opening of the subsidiary PETROF USA

2009

New generation of grand pianos

2009

Cooperation with an audio-legend Mark Levinson (cabinets for speakers for high-end audio system DANIEL HERTZ)

2012

Introduction of the new upright piano P 127 Next, the new instrument of modern design (Modern collection)

2013

Opening of the PETROF Museum

2014

Launch of new premium brand ANT. PETROF; company celebrates 150th anniversary

2015

Zuzana Ceralová Petrofová is named MANAGER OF THE YEAR

2016

PETROF Art Family project (PAF)